Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church, 2604 N 14th St. Courtesy of JoAnn Trapp

Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church, 2604 N 14th St. Courtesy of JoAnn Trapp

Photographer: unknown
Description: Originally built in 1946, Augustana became an instant landmark when a later addition to the building resembled a “capsized ship”. Augustana’s unusually progressive social contribution to the neighborhood might just be attributed to its topsy-turvey architecture; in the late 1970s the Church hosted (an openly) gay men’s choir.
Date: 1946
Location: Phoenix